Brought to Los Angeles by the New York-based Joyce Theater Foundation, regional choreographers will have the opportunity to earn a $10,000 grant with the help of an interactive program and an audience vote. (After all, A.W.A.R.D. stands for Artists With Audiences Responding to Dance.)
For the next three nights, four different dance artists present their work, and then have the opportunity to discuss the piece and listen to audience feedback. At the end of each evening, one choreographer/company will be selected to advance to the final round by popular vote.
Then on Sunday, Jan. 16, the three finalists will reprise their work in front of the audience and a panel of judges who will collectively decide the grant recipient.
The A.W.A.R.D. Show! program schedule:
Thursday, Jan. 13, 2011, at 8:30 pm
- Rachael Lincoln and Leslie Seiters / Lean-to-Productions
- Arianne MacBean
- Barak Marshall / BODYTRAFFIC
- Christine Suarez
Friday, Jan. 14, 2011, at 8:30 pm
- Maria Gillespie / Oni Dance
- Pam Gonzales / Pam Gonzales Dance
- Holly Johnston / Ledges and Bones
- Bradley Michaud / Method Contemporary Dance
Saturday, Jan. 15, 2011, at 8:30 pm
- Randé Dorn / Randé Dorn Dance Company
- Victoria Marks
- Karen Schaffman with Liam Clancy, Eric Geiger and Leslie Seiters
- Meg Wolfe
Sunday, Jan. 16, 2011, at 7 pm
The final event to determine the winner of the grant.
The A.W.A.R.D. Show!
631 W. 2nd St., Los Angeles