MFA students in CalArts' Graphic Design program get playful in their end-of-year show: Finite and Infinite Games.
Held in CalArts' D-300 gallery from May 12-19, the exhibit borrows its title from James P. Carse's book Finite and Infinite Games, which examines a "vision of life as play and possibility." In the book, the author explains:
There are at least two kinds of games. One could be called finite, the other infinite. A finite game is played for the purpose of winning, an infinite game for the purpose of continuing the play.
Extrapolating Carse's sentiment, the Graphic Design show showcases the products (finite) and process (infinite) that represent graphic design's engagement with the world.
Included in the exhibition are MFA artists Noura Al-Naggar, Scott Barry, Tim Belonax, Laura Bernstein, Nate Blowers, Ania Diakoff, Amanda Gartman, Sarah Gottesdiener, Mary Kim Harmon, Eileen Hsu, Pouya Jahanshahi, Kate Johnston, David Karwan, Tom Kracauer, Catherine Lee, Thea Lorentzen, Scott Massey, Julie Moon, Danae Moore, Masato Nakada, Jesse Lee Stout, Tara Tannenbaum and Ben Woodlock.
Several design-related events are also being held in conjunction with Finite and Infinite Games, transforming the gallery into a space that encourages visitor participation and highlights graphic design's role as a "mediator of cultural experience."
The opening reception will be held on Thursday, May 12 at 8 pm. Other events are:
- Saturday, May 14: Screening of Bass on Titles (1977), a retrospective of the work of Saul Bass (1920-1996), a master of film title sequences who worked with directors such as Hitchcock, Preminger and Scorsese.
- Sunday, May 15: Performance by Rebellious Dust with music from the film Connections in relation to the spacial configuration of the gallery.
- Monday, May 16: Discussion with artist and CalArts faculty member Ed Fella, moderated by visiting faculty member Mark Owens.
- Tuesday, May 17: Ania Diakoff reads from Finite and Infinite Games.
- Wednesday, May 18: Representatives of Risograph International will be onsite to provide authorized risograph techniques and certification.
These events begin at 7 pm.
Finite and Infinite Games
MFA Graphic Design End-of-Year Show
CalArts' D-300 Gallery
24700 McBean Parkway, Valencia, Calif.
Gallery hours: 10 am-8 pm