While most CalArts students gear up for a much-needed Spring Break next week, there's no rest just yet for the graduating classes of MFA and BFA actors in the School of Theater. They're flying to New York for the annual Acting Showcase on Monday (March 26).
The showcase allows 33 actors to perform before a number of industry professionals, including producers, agents, managers, casting directors and theater companies by presenting scenes from both published and original plays.
This year, with the project under the direction of Theater faculty member Robert Cucuzza (Theater MFA 11), the showcase includes a video element which features the actors both on stage and screen.
Showcase allows the actors to put into practice all that they’ve learned, as well asprovide additional performance, career and self-marketing tools to help make asmoother transition from the academic to the professional world,” says Cucuzza.
Following the New York showcase, the actors prepare for the West Coast edition on April 23 at The Falcon Theatre in Burbank.
Below is the list of actors and the scenes they will perform:
- Jozben Barrett (with Jasmine Hughes): Dutch Treat by Martha King De Silva
- Emma Barrow & Shawn Allen: Flickering Lights by Emma Barrow
- Vanessa R. Butler & Juan Parada: The Motherfucker with the Hat by Stephen Adly Guirgis
- Jenny Curtis & Chris Chiquet: The Pain and the Itch by Bruce Norris
- Melissa Donaher (with Gilbert Molina): The Understudy by Theresa Rebeck
- Matthew Goodrich & Tyrone Davis: Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare
- Jasmine Hughes: Live and In Color! by Danitra Vance
- Nils Jansson: The Problem by Nils Jansson
- Saxon Jones: The Fan by Eric Bogosian
- Jeremy Kinser: Adapted from Timboctou by Alejandro Ricaño/translation by Gabriela Trigo
- Ethan McMurray (with Taylor Beia): Adapted from The Lieutenant of Inishmore by Martin McDonagh
- Sophia Mikaila Wang & Justin Montalvo: Blade to the Heat by Oliver Mayer
- Gilbert Molina (with Gabriela Trigo): El Nogalar by Tanya Saracho
- Michael Pignatelli & Brendan McGowan: Almost, Maine by John Cariani
- Chynna Skye Pozzessere & Allison Caldicott-Levitt: Scab by Sheila Callaghan
- Stephanie Regina (with Allison Caldicott-Levitt): Adapted from Toll by Jeff Blumenkrantz
- Gabriella Rhodeen & Taylor Beia: Adapted from Girl on the Bridge by Serge Frydman
- Warren Saint George II & Laurel Alons: Mauritius by by Theresa Rebeck
- Olivia Sandoval & Gabriela Trigo: Savage in Limbo by John Patrick Shanley
- Kyle Stockburger & Brittany Anne Woodford: Raised in Captivity by Nicky Silver
- Kalean Ung & Nikhil Pai: 99 Ways to Fuck a Swan by Kim Rosenstock
CalArts School of Theater MFA and BFA Acting Showcases
New York Theatre Workshop
79 E. 4th Street, New York City
Monday, March 26 with performances at 4 pm and 7 pm (a reception will follow each performance)
To attend, RSVP online.
Los Angeles Theatre Workshop
The Falcon Theatre
4252 Riverside Drive, Burbank
Monday, April 23 with performances at 1 pm, 4 pm and 7 pm (a reception will follow each performance)
To attend, RSVP online.
On Monday (March 26), read the 24700 Q&A with Showcase director Cucuzza and Dean of CalArts School of Theater Travis Preston.