Thirteen short films, representative of the hard work and commitment of CalArts’ student filmmakers, have been selected by a jury of faculty, alumni and their peers. The selected films vary in scope, from an existential comedy about a down-on-her-luck woman and a shut-in trying to connect amid technical and emotional difficulties in Joshua Gleason’s June/July to a live, multicamera concert shoot of recording artists Jeff the Brotherhood by Jason Georgiades.
The complete list of films showing at the Film Directing Program Showcase:
- The Predator by Zi Gao (MFA 15), 5:19
- June/July by Joshua Gleason (MFA 14), 9:20
- rideherdon by Tony Carter-Hill (MFA 14), 3:15
- Bacheloress by Joseph Pedi (MFA 12), 14:18
- New Year’s Eve by Eileen C. Hsu (MFA 15), 6:32
- The Bluff by Michael Scheer (MFA 15), 7:20
- 655 by Nick Flessa (MFA 13), 3:30
- “proximities” by Giulia Caruso (MFA 13), 12:30
- Detour by Quyen Tran (MFA 15), 4:13
- Afflicted by Mead McCormick (MFA 13), 10:00
- The Heart of it All by Molly Hansen (MFA 13), 5:00
- Luces de Dia (Lights of Day) by Pedro Manuel Sanchez Camacho (MFA 12), 15:00
- Jeff the Brotherhood, Part I by Jason Georgiades (MFA 13), 5:00
This year’s jurors were Film Directing Program Co-Director Deborah LaVine, Directing Program faculty members Charles Burnett, Ki Jin Kim, Ernest Marrero and Lee Anne Schmitt, as well as alumnus Andrew Ahn (MFA 11) and current student Sara Razack (MFA 15).
We posted stills from the productions, above, and a scene from Joseph Pedi’s Bacheloress, below.
Film/Video Showcase 2013: Film Directing Program
May 3, 8 pm
631 W 2nd St., Los Angeles
Free, reservations recommended