For 24 years, the Jazz Studies program at The Herb Alpert School of Music at CalArts has collaborated with the iconic Capitol Studios in Hollywood to record a yearly compilation of new student work. This year's album was released in May and is now available to stream and download for free online.
In an email, David Roitstein, the album's producer and Chair of Jazz Program at The Herb Alpert School of Music, described the variety of musical directions the project took this year:
It is an amazingly eclectic compilation of the music that was created at CalArts in 2013, and couldn't have happened anywhere else. There are wonderful bands with unusual instrumentation (Whack Stack of Mister's Sly, The H Series), original songs for voice (Long Distance, Song of the Sun, Lullaby), successful world music experiments (Three Kanjiras, Bhairav), high energy bands (Ferpa's Purpose, We Can Be What We Want To Be), more traditional acoustic jazz (Be Good For Goodness Sake, Mikyren), and even a string quartet (Become The Sky).
We are grateful to everyone at Capitol and Universal Music Group for their support, and we're looking forward to next year's celebration of 25 years of CalArts CDs at Capitol Records!
Stream and download the album as well as the 23 previous CDs for free at the The CalArts Jazz CD Archive.
Below is the track listing for CalArts Jazz 2013:
- Whack Stack of Mister's Sly - Will Wulfeck (5:37)
- Three Kanjiras - Joshua Carro (4:33)
- Long Distance - Ted Taforo (5:42)
- We Can Be What We Want To Be - Evan White (5:02)
- Song of the Sun - Steven van Betten, Fell Runner (3:10)
- Bhairav - arr. by Neelamjit Dhillon (4:56)
- Become The Sky - Zirque Bonner (3:58)
- The "H" Series: H-9 - Stefan Kac (5:14)
- Be Good for Goodness Sake - Robert Anderson, Evan Jiroudek (3:09)
- Mikyren - Nery Kim (5:07)
- Ferpa's Purpose - Elysia Strauss (6:23)
- Lullaby - Gregory Uhlmann, Fell Runner (4:18)