Jade Jackson's Fools Gold
On April 6, the Herb Alpert School of Music at CalArts presents the second annual CalArts Soundstream.
Eight graduating student bands gather for a one-night, no cover showcase at West Hollywood's legendary venue The Troubadour to play original, forward-thinking and genre-defying music.
- The Ryan Arklin Band, with Ryan Arklin (BFA 15), Blake Baldwin (MFA 14), Jordan Bush (BFA 17) and Evan Jiroudek (BFA 14), plays '90s grunge music, with a taste of modern country.
- The Jade Jackson Band, an Americana group from the Central Coast of California, takes its influence from jazz, country, rock and roll, the blues, and even punk. The band is composed of Jade Jackson (BFA 15), Andrew Redel, Brenneth Stevens, Jake Vukovich and Tyler Miller.
- A Horse A Spoon A Bucket, with John Sanchez, Hannah Dexter (BFA 15), Henry Webster (BFA 13), Austin Kowalczyk and Aidan Gould (BFA 16), is a baby-centric band for the often simplified younger audience. The songs take inspiration from '50s rock 'n' roll and '80s new wave, finding new whimsical and surreal tunes that get even the grownup babies dancing.
- Karkaza, Sanskrit for "hard, callous, unyielding to pressure," is the epitome of visceral emotion and physicality in metal. Members of Karkaza are Lilia Bogoeva (BFA 15), Dexter, Benjamin Hubbard (BFA 15), Mekala Session (BFA 17) and Quayla Bramble (BFA 15).
- Easy creates new pop, influenced by everything from West African guitar, Impressionist harmony, Brian Wilson, Joni Mitchell and Thelonious Monk. The band features Sam Broido (BFA 15), Luc Kleiner, Julian Karahalios (MFA 15), Gabe Stout and Andy Jimenez, plays with the Friendship Orchestra, with Steven Feiler (BFA 16), Ryan Espinoza, Gina Koedel (BFA 17), Michael Torres (BFA 17), Oleg Taudzie, Caid Jones (BFA 15), Joy Yi (BFA 17), Thea Mesirow (BFA 15) and Marilu Donovan (MFA 15).
- BRNSTRM is an R&B duo of Arielle Deem (BFA 14) and Efa Etoroma, Jr. (MFA 15). They use looping, sample triggering, live instrumentation and visual projections, to present unique sensory environments while keeping an improvisatory spirit.
- Nar is a jazz/world music fusion project with the vision of blending Turkish melodies with jazz and rock. Selman Erguner (MFA 15), Brendan Black (BFA 15), Robert Perez (BFA 15), Michael Maschmann (BFA 16), Joshua Linsky (MFA 15) and Michael Ohlinger (MFA 16) make up the group.
- MLK, with Evan Montgomery (MFA 15), Linsky and Karahalios blends funk, hip-hop, and R&B with innovative jazz concepts.