EventDecember 17, 2015

CalArts Holds First Symposium on Gender Bias in Animation

Poster for ‘The Animated Woman.’

On Thursday (Dec. 17), CalArts’ Experimental Animation Program’s The Animated Woman class, led by faculty Erica Larsen-Dockray (Film/Video BFA 09, MFA 12), holds a symposium on gender bias in animation, a first for the Institute.

Students from the class present research and responses to the topic of how female characters are presented in animation through screenings, performances, trivia games, interactive displays, audio and visual comparisons, investigations of animation education resources, public service announcements and how-to guides, among others.

The program’s topics are:

• Samantha Gurry’s (Film/Video MFA 18) There are no girls
  • Amanda Bonaiuto’s (Film/Video MFA 18) This is me now
  • Jamie Wolfe’s (Film/Video MFA 18) PEA Method
  • Lauren Flinner’s (Film/Video MFA 17) Makeup Tutorial
  • Stephanie Delazeri’s (Film/Video BFA 18) Playful: How to Draw a Woman
  • Rachel Seropian’s (Film/Video BFA 17) Mom Safari
  • Julia Newhide’s (Film/Video MFA 16) Funky Town
  • Isabel Higgins’ (Film/Video BFA 18) Animated Woman Jeopardy
  • Patty Casaverde’s (Film/Video BFA 18) This is me Now Part 2
  • Jude Estrada’s (Film/Video MFA 18) Who Really Passes the Bechdel Test?
  • Hyejin Choi’s (Film/Video BFA 19) Bottle

Larsen-Dockray also discusses the processes and findings of the course. CalArts Provost Jeannene Przyblyski delivers an introduction to the symposium.

The Animated Woman: Symposium on Gender Bias in Animation starts at 4 pm in the Bijou Auditorium. Themed refreshments will be served at the event.

Event Details

The Animated Woman: Symposium on Gender Bias in Animation

Dec. 17, 4-7 pm
Bijou Auditorium, CalArts
24700 McBean Parkway, Valencia
Free