Long before it became California Institute of the Arts in 1961 by the hand of Walt Disney, Chouinard Art Institute birthed the careers of two legendary costume designers: Edith Head and Bob Mackie. Today, the school (which offers both BFAs and MFAs in costume design) encourages innovation in mediums including opera, theater, film, television and concerts. Its professional production arm, the School of Theater and the Center for New Performance, offers real-world experience to select students.
CalArts graduates include Elaine Montalvo (MFA 96), costume designer for The Walking Dead; Barbara Inglehart (MFA 86), costume supervisor for Grey's Anatomy, Scandal, Fifty Shades of Grey; and Marco Morante (BFA 02), a fashion and stage costume designer who's worked with Katy Perry, Nicki Minaj, Shakira and Ke$ha, among others.
The industry publication consulted with both costume designers and academics to put together the top 10 undergraduate and graduate programs.
Other schools making the list are (in alphabetical order):
- Carnegie Mellon, Pittsburgh
- University of California, Los Angeles
- New York University, New York City
- Savannah College of Art and Design, Savannah, Georgia
- University of Missouri, Kansas City
- University of North Carolina, School of the Arts, Winston Salem, North Carolina
- University of Southern California, Los Angeles
- Wimbledon College of the Arts, London
- Yale, New Haven, Connecticut