CalArts’s End-of-Year Burlesque Show & Drag Ball

On Friday (May 4) and Saturday (May 5), CalArts held its annual Burlesque Show and Drag Ball. This year’s themes were “Cartoon Cuties” and “90’s MTV,” respectively. The burlesque show at CalArts encourages students to celebrate their bodies’ beauty in all shapes and sizes.

From School of Theater student Abby Salling (BFA 18):

A burlesque show at CalArts is a body-positive event that celebrates the bodies and powers of women, men, and nonbinary people in a way that is positive and meaningful. This is my third time performing and my fourth time being involved in the event. As a performer it’s a really empowering thing to do. To be proud of and celebratory of my body that is usually not seen, especially as a girl who is not small. It’s a really exciting thing to be body-positive.

The 2018 Drag Ball featured a diverse line-up of enlivening performances—the queens lit up the stage in the Main Gallery lip-synching and dancing to their favorite songs.

CalArtian Paige O’Mara (Dance BFA ’19) said:

Drag ball is an event celebrating queer people and the drag community. It’s a huge confidence booster for people who attend and perform each year. My experience was amazing; the moment we stepped on stage I could feel that energy in the room. Everyone was so excited to be there.

Check out photo highlights from the 2018 Drag Ball below:

Event Details

CalArts Drag Ball 2018

May 5th, 2018

10:45pm – 1:00am

California Institute of the Arts
24700 McBean Parkway
Valencia, California 91355