Next Words, a reading series that takes place in various venues in Los Angeles to introduce the graduating class of the CalArts MFA in Creative Writing Program to the greater LA literary community, holds its final reading of the year at REDCAT on Thursday (May 15).
Eighteen students read selections from their respective works—a selection of fiction, poetry, nonfiction and hybrid genres. They are:
- Ani Bakhchadzyan, reading from Fetish;
- K. Bradford, reading from howlsong;
- KT Browne, reading from Spiral Wares;
- Joey Cannizzaro, reading from Googlefuck: General Rules and English General English;
- Jade Hudson, reading “I was the ‘I’ in Hi I’m High” and “The Feline;”
- Djinji Jimenez, reading from Eating Dessert;
- Emma E. Kemp, reading from Sunshine & Sorrow;
- Clay Kerrigan, reading from Normal Breathing;
- Shishonia Livingston, reading from Immature Insects;
- Shana Mirambeau, reading from Welcome to the Moonhouse;
- James Pianka, reading from The Painter’s Tomb;
- Riley Raubacher, reading from The Basement;
- Diego Robles, reading from The Constant Imaginary Present;
- Chrysanthe Tan, reading from Perfect Pitch;
- Vesta Vaingloria, reading from Shadows of Mankind: A Dandiesque Memoir;
- Robert Villalobos, reading from White People Are Cool;
- Emerson Whitney, reading from Translation; and
- Adriana Widdoes, reading from Vanishing Points.
An eponymous anthology edited by Widdoes and Kemp is available at the reading for $12. Admission is free, although reservations are encouraged to guarantee seating. Call the REDCAT box office at 213.237.2800 for reservations.
Next Words Reading Series
May 15, 8:30 pm
631 W. 2nd St., Los Angeles