On Monday (Sept. 22), The Herb Alpert School of Music at CalArts hosts an afternoon of professional development with The Sessions, a non-profit arts organization, followed by a live karaoke set and jam session.
Students from every métier may participate in the event, which includes a Q&A panel with working artists who will cover a range of topics from contract negotiations, entertainment law, marketing, self-promotion, image maintenance and performance fundamentals.
- Liberty DeVitto, drummer for Billy Joel for 30 years;
- Dom Famularo, WizDOM Drumshed schools in the US, Canada, France and Italy; education consultant for Sabian Cymbals, Vic Firth Sticks, Mapex Drums, Evans Drumheads and Wizdom Media Publications;
- Carlos Guzman, drum and percussion technician for Juanes on his acclaimed MTV: Unplugged project; three-time Grammy Performance Achievement Award winner; tour manager for Barry Gibb for Mythology: The Tour;
- Joe Hibbs, Mapex Artist Relations and Product Development Manager;
- Paul Quin, entertainment and litigation lawyer;
- Rick deJonge, composer for orchestra and wind ensemble and the film and video game industry for over 20 years; just completed scoring a commercial for Fiat, and just signed Capital Cities trumpeter Spencer Ludwig (Music BFA 4);
- Nita Strauss, guitarist for Alice Cooper, recording artist;
- Glen Sobel, drummer for Alice Cooper, clinician; and
- Jerry Jemmott, legendary bassist for Aretha Franklin and many others
The event runs from 4 to 9 pm at The Wild Beast.
The Sessions at CalArts
Sept. 22, 4-9 pm
The Wild Beast at CalArts
24700 McBean Parkway, Valencia