On Monday, Nov. 3, Friends of CalArts (FoCA) and The Sharon Disney Lund School of Dance present an evening of dance, film and conversation at the Goethe-Institut in Los Angeles.
Within the Frame and Out of the Box is a dance benefit for the Laurence Blake Scholarship, a fund established to provide tuition support for students in The Sharon Disney Lund School of Dance. Blake—the scholarship’s namesake joined the faculty in 1980. He is currently an Assistant Dean in the dance school.
The FoCA program features a number of live and digital performances from a mix of Dance faculty and alumni:
- Laura Gorenstein Miller (BFA 92) screens a clip from her work on the film Puss in Boots in conjunction with a live performance by three dancers.
- Mary Ann Kellogg (BFA 75) shows a choreographic reel featuring her work in film and television.
- Natalie Metzger (MFA 11) screens her film, Arena, which recently received the “River Rhythm Award” at the Silent River Film Festival.
- Faculty member Francesca Penzani (MFA 99) premieres her film, Feathers.
- Cherise Richards (MFA 12) choreographs and performs the bell, a duet with alumni Jordan Saenz (BFA 12).
- Alexandra Yalj (MFA 07) presents her own site-specific solo work.
Kellogg is part of the host committee, who, along with her fellow alumnae, Jamie Bishton (BFA 84), Rita Maye Bland (BFA 87), Erica Carpenter (BFA 12) and Linda Cevallos-French (BFA 89), helped curate and coordinate the event.
Within the Frame and Out of the Box is open to the public, and tickets (as well as sponsorship opportunities) are now available.
Within the Frame and Out of the Box
Monday, Nov. 3 at 6:30 pm
Goethe-Institut Los Angeles
5750 Wilshire Boulevard, 100, Los Angeles
Parking is $1 with validation
Tickets: $25, $40 per couple, $100 for donor tickets
Sponsorship and virtual tickets also available