EventJuly 24, 2015

The Eroica Trio Performs Music Inspired by Eric Fischl’s Watercolor Paintings

Guild Hall in East Hampton, N.Y. presents the Grammy-nominated Eroica Trio, performing composer and pianist’s Bruce Wolosoff’s The Loom on Friday (July 24) at 8 pm.

The Loom is inspired by the watercolor paintings of renowned painter, sculptor, printmaker and CalArts alumnus Eric Fischl (Art BFA 72).

More from Wolosoff:

Ever since I was a young boy, I have been inspired by paintings. Certain paintings, for some reason I don’t understand, cause me to spontaneously hear music in my mind. When I came across the beautiful watercolors of Eric Fischl, I immediately felt this inspiration and began sketching out the music that I was hearing. I told Eric about this and asked him if it would be okay with him if I were to use this material as the basis of the new piece I was composing for the Eroica Trio. Eric was intrigued by the idea, and we spent some time together in his studio… At one point in the process, Eric suggested that he make a new watercolor to include that responded to the music I was writing. I felt very honored and, of course, was totally thrilled!

The night’s program includes projections of the watercolors which inspired the work, plus performances of trios by Johann Sebastian Bach, Josef Suk and Johannes Brahms.

Above is a slideshow of the watercolor paintings which inspired The Loom.

Above: The premiere of Bruce Wolosoff’s ‘The Loom (Part 1),’ performed by the Eroica Trio at Gardner Museum in Boston, Mass.

Event Details

The Eroica Trio Performs Bruce Wolosoff's The Loom

With Special Guest Eric Fischl
July 24, 8 pm
Guild Hall
158 Main St., East Hampton New York
Tickets: from $18