As the fall semester at CalArts begins to wind down, The Sharon Disney Lund School of Dance is busy preparing for the annual Winter Dance Concert, a showcase of the school’s choreographers’ and dancers’ wide-ranging talents.
This year’s concert takes place at three venues: In addition to performances at The Sharon Disney Lund Theater at CalArts (Nov. 29-30) and at REDCAT (Dec. 7-8), a special version of the concert for children and families will be presented at the Los Angeles Dance Project’s (LADP) creative headquarters in LA’s Warehouse District on Dec. 9.
Winter Dance features five works by iconic choreographers including Trisha Brown, Rennie Harris, Merce Cunningham, Jawoie Willa Jo Zollar and Jiri Kylián. From modern to postmodern, hip hop to contemporary to ballet, each of the pieces are staged by CalArts faculty and guest artists who served as originating members of each featured company or production.
The concert program includes:
- Canfield (1969) by Merce Cunningham; staged by Holley Farmer, formerly of the Merce Cunningham Dance Company;
- Solo Olos (1976) by Trisha Brown and staged by CalArts faculty Samuel Wentz, formerly of the Trisha Brown Dance Company;
- Shelter (1988) by Jawoie Willa Jo Zollar and staged by Urban Bush Women company member Marjani Forté;
- Falling Angels (1989) by Jiri Kylián and staged by Fiona Lummis, formerly of Netherlands Dance Theater and originating member of the cast;
- Facing Mekka (1998) by Rennie Harris and staged by CalArts faculty member Nina Flagg, formerly of Rennie Harris Puremovement and an originating member of the cast.
The kid-friendly version of the performance at LADP will be shorter and more playful—aimed to inspire children to become engaged in the world of dance at CalArts and beyond. In addition to performances, there will be music, cake, balloons and surprises for an afternoon of family fun. Tickets are $5 for the LADP event with proceeds benefitting the CalArts Dance Scholarship Fund.
Winter Dance Concert
Thursday-Friday, Nov. 29-30, 8 pm
CalArts, The Sharon Disney Lund Theater
Friday-Saturday, Dec. 7-8, 8:30 pm
631 West 2nd St., Los Angeles
Winter Dance for Kids
Sunday, Dec. 9, 2 pm
Los Angeles Dance Project (LADP)
2245 E. Washington Blvd., Los Angeles