The CalArts Center for New Performance (CNP) virtually presents two work-in-progress showcases of its latest production, a theatrical adaptation of Ingmar Bergman’s 1972 film Cries and Whispers, on Friday, Feb. 19 and Saturday, Feb. 20. A panel discussion follows on Sunday, Feb. 21 with the creative team.
Cries and Whispers is directed by Genevieve Fowler (Theater MFA 21) and features musical composition by Performer-Composer DMA lecturer Jeonghyeon Joo. CNP’s production reworks Bergman’s groundbreaking Swedish period drama, which explores themes of anguish, faith, and the female psyche. From CNP:
In a radical reimagining of the seminal film, director Genevieve Fowler creates a liminal memory space in which lineage, histories, and the personal lens expand, inform, and liberate the powerful women of Bergman’s world. With original composition by renowned haegeum performer and composer Jeonghyeon Joo, this international collaboration brings the viewer into a dreamlike environment through deep listening, collage, and the performers’ individual experiences.
Numerous CalArtians are credited among the production’s creative team, including:
- Likun Jing (Theater MFA 21): Actor (Karin)
- Adam Peltier (Theater MFA 21): Actor (Man)
- Natalie Ferguson (Theater MFA 21): Scenic designer/videographer
- Yuwei Hu (Theater MFA 23): Costume designer
- Christian V. Mejia (Theater MFA 21): Lighting designer
- Elliot Yokum (Theater MFA 21): Sound designer/voice recording engineer
- Kathleen Fox (Art MFA 21): Video designer/videographer
- Jordie Marie Rippon (Theater MFA 22): Production stage manager
- Alkis Nicolaides (Music MFA 18): Guitarist
- Hyun-min Lee (Film/Video BFA 07): Videographer
Cries and Whispers was made possible through funding by Arts Council Korea, and is presented by special arrangement with Dramatists Play Service, Inc., New York.
In-Progress Performances of Cries and Whispers
Friday, Feb. 19, 8 pm PST
Saturday, Feb. 20, 10 pm PST
Sunday, Feb. 21, 8 pm PST