The 2012 CalArts Character Animation Producers' Show screened works from CalArts BFA animators last week before an at-capacity crowd at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences Samuel Goldwyn Theater in Beverly Hills.
Chris Miller (Film/Video 90), director of Puss in Boots and a CalArts alum, delivered an introduction of the films to the audience of film industry veterans, animators, and their friends and families.
Immediately following Miller's remarks was the public announcement of the recipient of the Walter and Gracie Lantz Animation Prize (aka "The Woody Award"): BFA 3 student Eusong Lee.
Lee's short film will—which this year's earned top marks in the faculty-scored prize and opened Wednesday evening's film screening—takes on issues of love and loss within the context of the still emotionally charged subject of 9/11:
Eusong Lee - will
Toniko Pantoja - Crayon Dragon
The following films were also were featured at the 2012 CalArts Character Animation Producers' Show:
- Brian Carter (BFA 4) - Princess of the Magical Tears
- Sabrina Cotugno (BFA 4) - Kagemono
- Tahnee Gehm (BFA 4) - Can We Be Happy Now
- Louis Thomas (Exchange student from Gobelins) - le ballet
- Hannah Ayoubi (BFA 3) - Story Time Confessions
- Theresa Latzko (BFA 2) - Days without accident
- Jisoo Kim (Experimental Animation MFA 3) - The Bathhouse
- Michael Piazza (BFA 2) - Under a Big Tree
- Zesung Kang (BFA 4) - In This Grave Hour
- Jacob Streilein (BFA 2) - Swelter
- Mallory Dyer (BFA 3) - Lapsena
- Taylor Price (BFA 2) - Below
- Jasmin Lai (BFA 3) - When I Grow Up
- Sun Jae Lee (BFA 3) - The Princess Who Never Smiled
- Jason Reicher (BFA 2) - The Red Tide
- Paul Flores (BFA 2) - Camping Chaos
- John Kim (BFA 1) - You've Been Mimed
- Natalie Wetzig (BFA 4) - Royal Pain
- Tom Law (BFA 3) - Cactus Film
- Sam Kremers-Nedell (BFA 3) - Know Me
Please visit the 2012 Character Animation Student Films on Vimeo.