On Wednesday (Feb. 20), two CalArts musicians performed with The Americans on The Late Show with David Letterman. Bassist Jake Faulkner (Music BFA 11) and drummer Tim Carr (Music BFA 11) joined vocalist/guitarist Patrick Ferris and banjoist Zac Sokolow on stage to perform the band’s single, Sweet and Low.
The performance followed an appearance on John Schaefer’s WNYC/NPR New Sounds on Tuesday, and the release of the track, which is a Lord Tennyson poem adapted to music by the band for a collection of pirate ballads and sea chanties interpreted and performed by contemporary artists. Titled Son of Rogues’ Gallery, the album also features new music by Keith Richards, Macy Gray, Tom Waits, Iggy Pop, Nick Cave, Dr. John, Richard Thompson, among others.
The 36-track compilation was produced by Hal Willner, a veteran tribune album producer, and executive-produced by Pirates of the Caribbean star, Johnny Depp. In January 2010, Willner produced a pirate-themed concert event, Rogue’s Gallery, for the 2009 Sydney Festival in Australia.
Below are The Americans’ spring live performance dates:
- Fri, Feb. 22 – Living Room, New York
- Fri, March 8 – Villains Tavern, Los Angeles
- Fri, March 29 – McCabe’s Guitar Shop with the California Feetwarmers, Santa Monica
- Sat, April 6 – Villains Tavern, Los Angeles
- Sun, April 14 – Grand Ole Echo, Los Angeles
- Sun, May 19 – Topanga Banjo Fiddle Festival, Pavilion Stage, Agoura Hills