Copenhagen Cycles (2006) from Eric Dyer on Vimeo.
Earlier this month, Dean of CalArts’ School of Film/Video Steve Anker announced new faculty members in the Experimental and Character animation programs for the 2011-12 school year.
The new roster includes film industry veterans and animation professionals from studios such as DreamWorks Animation, Illumination Entertainment and Disney Feature Animation. Collectively, the incoming faculty have worked on a number of high-profile films, including Winnie the Pooh, The Princess and the Frog, Megamind, The Little Mermaid and Aladdin.
New CalArts faculty and their courses:
- CalArts alumnus Steve Anderson (Film/Video 91) of Disney Feature Animation, and co-director of this past summer’s Winnie the Pooh, teaches an Advanced Story class that focuses on story development, storyboard preparation, scripting and story essentials.
- Eric Deuel, a freelance animator, is teaching CG Animation II. He’s worked on films such as Kung Fu Panda 2, Bee Movie and Madagascar, among others.
- The Experimental Animation Program welcomes artist, animator and educator Eric Dyer whose award-winning films and installations have been exhibited in the Smithsonian National Gallery of Art, Musee Chateau d’Annecy, Ars Electronica, and the Cairo and Venice Biennales. He’s been honored as a Fulbright Fellow and Sundance Film Festival New Frontier Artist. Dyer’s current project is in development with the National Film Board of Canada Animation Studio.
- Eric Favela of Illumination Entertainment has worked on storyboard and visual development for Ice Age 4, Rio and Horton Hears a Who; he’s teaching Advanced Story this semester.
- Randy Haycock of Disney Feature Animation has served as a supervising animator on Winnie the Pooh, The Princess and the Frog, Tarzan and others. He’s teaching 2D Character Animation IV, an advanced character animation class that emphasizes performance, story construction, character development and dramatic structure.
- Freelance artist Brigette Jimenez (Film/Video BFA 07), who’s working on the upcoming Puss in Boots, is teaching Professional Preparation III, helping students design a professional portfolio for various audiences, including potential employers, clients and gallery owners.
- Jon Klassen, a writer, illustrator and animator, has four books and numerous projects under his belt including the U2 video, “I’ll Go Crazy if I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight.” He’s teaching Illustration for Animation.
- James Lopez of Disney Feature Animation, has worked on a number of notable films, including The Princess and the Frog, The Emperor’s New Groove, Pocahontas and The Lion King. He’s teaching 2D Character Animation III.
Bill Perkins of Disney Feature Animation has worked on Winnie the Pooh, Bolt, Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid and Aladdin. He’s teaching Cinematography and Composition for Animated Film.
- DreamWorks’ Rad Sechrist a story artist for Megamind and Kung Fu Panda2 is teaching Life Drawing for Animators that applies life drawing techniques to animation.
- Artist, designer and writer Valerio Ventura did creative development on films such as Hercules, Mulan and The Emperor’s New Groove, is teaching Professional Preparation IV.