Above: Trailer for ‘The Temptation of St. Antony.’
By Luke Martin
The 2015 LA Stage Alliance Ovation Awards nominees were recently announced, highlighting the vibrancy of the Los Angeles theater community. The only peer-judged theatre awards in LA, the Ovation Awards were created in 1989 to recognize outstanding work in performance, production and design. This year’s awards ceremony will be held at the Ahmanson Theatre on Monday, Nov. 9.
As with past years, CalArts finds itself well-represented among the nominees. To provide a sense of the scope of these awards: There were 297 productions registered from 118 different producing bodies, voted on by 240 Ovation Awards voters, who are all working theatre professionals in the Greater LA area.
The following CalArts alumni and faculty are nominated this year:
- Jessica Kubzansky (Theater MFA 94), Co-Artistic Director for The Theater @ Boston Court nominated for Best Season;
- Faculty Miranda Wright (Theater MFA 09), Executive Director of the Los Angeles Performance Practice, nominated for Best Production of a Play (Intimate Theatre) for The Day Shall Declare It;
- At Sacred Fools Theatre Company, The Burglars of Hamm–Carolyn Almos (Theater MFA 93), Matt Almos (Theater MFA 93), Jon Beauregard (Theater BFA 91) and Albert Dayan (Theater MFA 94)–was nominated for Best Production of a Musical (Intimate Theatre), Acting Ensemble of a Musical, Book of a World Premiere Musical, and Lyrics/Composition of a World Premiere Musical (with Brendan Milburn) for The Behavior of Broadus; Almos (Theater MFA 93) was also nominated for Direction of a Musical, and Hugo Armstrong (Theater BFA 98) for Lead Actor in a Musical (as John Broadus Watson) with the same production;
- Caitlyn Conlin (Theater BFA 12), Kalean Ung (Theater MFA 12) and Paula Rebelo (Theater BFA 13) were nominated for Acting Ensemble of a Play for The Temptation of St. Antony;
- Conlin and Rebelo were also nominated for for Acting Ensemble of a Play with Big Shot;
- Justin Townsend (Theater MFA 03) for Lighting Design (Large Theatre) and Cricket Myers (Theater MFA 03) for Sound Design (Large Theatre) with Bent; and
- Faculty Drew Dalzell for Sound Design (Large Theatre) in Wicked Lit 2014.
Tickets for the ceremony on Nov. 9 are on sale now.