Above: Patrick Osborne’s ‘Pearl.’
A multitude of CalArtians were awarded for their accomplishments in animation during the 44th Annual Annie Awards ceremony held on Feb. 4 in Los Angeles. The night’s biggest winner, Disney’s Zootopia, directed by Rich Moore (Film/Video BFA 87) and Byron Howard, took home six awards, including Best Animated Feature.
Below is a complete list of the CalArtian Annie Award winners:
- Best Animated Feature: Zootopia, Walt Disney Animation; directed by Rich Moore (Film/Video BFA 87) and Byron Howard
- Best Animated Television/Broadcast Production For Children: Adventure Time “Bad Jubies” Bix Pix Entertainment, Cartoon Network, Frederator Studios; directed by Kirsten Lepore (Film/Video MFA 12)
- Outstanding Achievement, Directing in an Animated TV/Broadcast Production: Pearl, Google Spotlight Stories/Evil Eye Pictures; directed by Patrick Osborne (former faculty)
- Outstanding Achievement, Directing in an Animated Feature Production: Zootopia
- Outstanding Achievement, Storyboarding in an Animated TV/Broadcast Production: Dreamworks Trollhunters Episode: “Win, Lose or Draal,” DreamWorks Animation Television; storyboard artist Hyunjoo Song (Film/Video BFA 11)
- Outstanding Achievement, Storyboarding in an Animated Feature Production: Zootopia, storyboard artist and faculty Dean Wellins (Film/Video 92)
In addition, CalArtians were also the recipients of special juried awards. Faculty Dale Baer (Chouinard 70) receives the Winsor McCay Award for his career contributions to the art of animation. Former faculty Sue Kroyer has been awarded the June Foray Award, along with her husband Bill, for their significant and benevolent or charitable impact on the art and industry of animation.
ASIFA-Hollywood’s full-length coverage of the 2017 Annie Awards ceremony can be streamed via Youtube.