On Saturday (April 29), CalArts School of Film/Video presents a juried selection of short films from the students in the Program of Film and Video. The event is held at the Roy and Edna Disney/CalArts Theater (REDCAT) in Downtown Los Angeles.
On the program:
- Bamboo Baba by Simon Gulergun (Film/Video BFA 20), 6:53
A holy renunciate living in the tiny mountain village Vashisht in Himachal Pradesh, India.
- Lookover by Shan Wu (Film/Video MFA 19), 3:07
This film creates an illusion of mountains propelling like waves and waves forming into mountains. An exploration of the concept of time and space.
- Undone by Lyle Kash (Film/Video MFA 19), 6:37
A man falls from the sky. Dead birds appear everywhere.
- Ayesha by Yanyu Dong (Film/Video MFA 17), 21:27
An imaginary biography of my mother.
- Big Iron by Andrew Beers (Film/Video MFA 18), 4:04
A musical piece that explores the flamboyance and sexuality found in the Western genre.
- Paragon by Mike Rice (Film/Video MFA 17), 20:00
Of the many fires that burned here, one has yet to be put out. Silently beckoning, this flame is always at our back, turning as we look to face it; and in front of us lies Paragon Park.
- The Last Image by Chi Leong Cheang (Film/Video BFA 19), 1:07
I was searching for something during the past three years, so I revisited and shot the places I used to live in the past three years.
- ny sol andas in (new sun breathing in) by Chloe Reyes (Film/Video BFA 4), 5:30
Portrait film of my grandmother in her home.
- How Old Are You? How Old Were You? By Cherlyn Hsing-Hsin Liu (Film/Video MFA 1), 15:30
Inspired by the early device Camera Obscura, this film is a work that made it possible to bring me back to my origin, the womb.
- Gills by Soo Hyun Kim (Film/Video BFA 17), 1:37
A film about longing that particular person that you can never see again. This project developed after the death of my father.
- Red, Blood, Color by Nicholas Carter (Film/Video MFA 1), 11:10
Both story and essay, this work brings science and anthropology together to examine the great enigma of the color red.
- Encounter with Nature by Jack Paradise (Film/Video BFA 20), 2:40
A hiker has an encounter with nature.
- Xiao Bin by Tian Guan (Film/Video MFA 17), 22:30
In order to avoid being bullied by two hooligans, Xiao Bin, a thirteen-year-old boy, attempts to join a teenage street gang.
This year’s selection committee is comprised of faculty Steve Anker, Thomas Eduardo, Laura Kraning, alum Ryan Betschart and Lily Yu (Film/Video BFA 18).
The screening is free and open to the public, but reservations are required due to limited seating. For more information about all 2017 Film/Video Showcase screenings held at REDCAT and CalArts, visit the site.