On May 13, CalArts Jazz Studies Program—led by David Roitstein—celebrated the release of the 30th anniversary CalArts Jazz 2019 CD. The annual album is recorded and engineered at Capitol Studios in Hollywood and features a compilation of works written and performed by student of The Herb Alpert School of Music at CalArts.
From the CalArts Jazz CD archive:
The studio time is an invaluable experience (all tracks are recorded live), and we get to document some extraordinary and eclectic musical directions. A large percentage of the music on this project would not usually be labelled “jazz” – this is just the way we want it! At CalArts, there are no boundaries or limitations on creative exploration, so enjoy traveling through the contrasting styles, inventive instrumentation, and fresh and adventurous sounds.
CalArts Jazz 2019 includes 11 tracks that were selected by a faculty committee from a large pool of nearly 100 student works. The designer of the album cover is chosen in a similar process by faculty from the Graphic Design program. This year’s artwork was designed by Jessica Peng (Art BFA 20).
The entire CD can be streamed and downloaded on the CalArts Jazz CD website.
Below is the track and composer listing for CalArts Jazz 2019:
- Dawn – Will Kjeer (7:31)
- moonwater – Sü Özcan (5:21)
- Timeless – QianWen XiaHou (4:23)
- Deldar – Matin Eshaghi (4:23)
- Baba Yaga – Tamir Kedem (5:59)
- Ten Thousand Cicadas – Nick Stahl (5:15)
- Overload – Matthew Elton Smith (3:46)
- Woolen – Evan Wendell (4:20)
- Traffic – Lee Rosen (2:33)
- Blued – Emily Tschirhart (4:31)
- Bonus – Maxx Bradley (4:25)